Monday, March 26, 2007

Tonkin Cane Bamboo

This weekend I took a trip out to Marcus McNabb's place to talk about the project and see some of the bamboo poles he has used in his work. His property is magical - it reminds of the forest of the Gods in Spirited Away. The Tonkin poles Marcus had on hand were very different from the ones I used last year - much thicker walls, very springy and still light in weight. After handling these poles I'm convinced that they would be a good choice for the tower. So tonite I'll be picking up a bundle of these from Andy Royer's wherehouse on my way home. Andy imports Tonkin for builders of fine fly fishing rods:

http://www.bamboobroker.com/index.html

Bicycle inner tubes! A friend of mine, Rusty Knorr, works in the bicycle department of REI which happens to be right across the street from my office. Rusty is going to start saving road bike inner tubes for me to use on the project.

No comments: